Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Reduce Me to Sweetness


Hey everyone! I know it has been a while since I've posted on the blog, (well a month to be exact... oh Valentines Day, how I don't love you so....) but the good news is that I am back, with my self-loathing commentary and quick, easy, healthy recipes and food tips and will be posting on a daily (or almost daily) basis from now on. So what am I all about for this burgeoning Spring food season? Well, I am all about the citrus, a great flavor to incorporate into dishes without any added fat and all that yucky stuff... lending a range of flavor from the sublimely subtle to the acidic acute to your favorite dish. Today, we add to a nice, sweet Balsamic reduction for a terrific pop of tang.... try this sauce on your sauteed fish or drizzle over some roasted vegetables for a great and easy meal! Also, did you know that the word "balsamic" means "balsam-like"? In the sense of curative or restorative? Ya, me neither. Thanks, wiki-pedia! But seriously, what better a way to cure those pesky lingering winter blues?

Orange Balsamic Reduction

Ingredients

2 Cups Balsamic Vinegar (make sure it is a heathy, good kind. You don't want to be cheap with this and buy some generic non-Italian balsamic vinegar, when it reduces it becomes more intense so a bad bottle will just get even worse!)
2 tablespoons cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon honey
Tiny pat of butter
1 pinch of salt
1 orange

Directions

1. In a saucepan, place balsamic vinegar, cane sugar, honey and a pinch of salt. Stir thoroughly. Melt in a tiny pat of butter, (adds a little creaminess to the sauce.) Zest one orange into the pan, as well as 2 tablespoons of the juice, (the zest has more flavor but the juice will had a nice background note of fruity sweetness.)
2. Stirring every few minutes or so, allow mixture to come to a boil and reduce to 1/3 its volume (or until it becomes syrupy in consistency.) IMPORTANT NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE VOLUME LEVEL FREQUENTLY, (this can be done by shutting off the heat and letting the air bubbles pop and liquid settle.) THIS STUFF IS VERY QUICK TO EVAPORATE TO NOTHING! (And nothing makes for nothing sauce, trust me, I've been there!)

So that's it. When proper consistency, (should be the consistency of syrup,) let cool and then transfer to pouring cup. Drizzle over your favorite vegetables, fish, roasted berries or even ice cream. It is a delightful and highly compatible sauce that allows you to have creativity in how you use it.

Enjoy and as always, your feedback is encouraged!

Xo

PS: The other exciting news is that I have recently created a Facebook page... thus entering 2011 with a bang, so if you would be so kind as to "like" here then I will love it (I love all my blog readers anyway, like me or not.... jussss sayin...): http://on.fb.me/gNLV8v

No comments:

Post a Comment