Monday, December 6, 2010

When there's No Time for Lunch - A Better Breakfast


Hey everyone! Today was a rough and busy day with time for just breakfast and no lunch (sound familiar?) but I got through it with a little help from a very scrumptious breakfast that is both light and nourishing. This breakfast is light but full of energy and will definitely get you through a day all the way to dinner! Now without further ado (because does anyone really like my rambling preludes anyway?)...

A Better Breakfast

Ingredients
3/4 cup Greek Yogurt (full fat is creamier but I used Fage brand 2%)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Grapefruit - segmented (so that there is no pith, rind or seeds, just pure grapefruit!)
2 dates - chopped
1 banana - sliced thinly
1/4 cup whole grain granola (or cereal of your choice)
2 Tbsp walnuts - chopped

Directions
1. Put yogurt in favorite, comforting cereal bowl
2. Stir in maple syrup and cinnamon
3. Add in sliced bananas, grapefruit segments and date pieces, stir gently
4. Top with 1/4 cup whole grain granola or other hearty cereal
5. Finally, sprinkle with walnuts.... grab your spoon, brew your favorite brand of coffee and be prepared (and fully satisfied!) for the day that awaits!!

As always, your feedback is deeply encouraged

Xo


7 comments:

  1. Wow! I would never had thought to add grapefruit to this. It looks wonderful. Now I'm craving grapefruit! Can't wait to give it a go and I totally agree with you about a hearty breakfast. I'm sure the granola has some 'staying power' for one's energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! I actually had this breakfast before my GRE exams and it kept me full the entire test! The grapefruit gives it such a nice acidic touch... I forgot to add that you can also squeeze the juice of the grapefruit into the yogurt to flavor it but I prefer just the slices... glad you enjoy and loving your blog as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding it to my repertoire as well. Love Greek Yogurt. Getting tired of egg whites and turkey bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Aileen - I feel the same way! I'm so bored with egg whites and plain yogurt. More breakfast recipes on their way... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also speaking of eggs, as another breakfast option, I love this recipe as well... http://oeats.blogspot.com/2010/07/morning-eggs-pesto.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too would never think of pairing grapefruit with yogurt! I will certainly try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please do! Let me know how you like it... with the sweetened yogurt and acid of the grapefruit it's an unexpected but delicious pairing! :)

    ReplyDelete