Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Beginnings

Time to start over for the new year. Time to wipe the slate clean and revel in the possibilities of what you can achieve, accomplish, how you can transform. For me this year is all about becoming someone I'm not. Make the changes you want to see in yourself. This year I made two resolutions:

1. Eat mindfully
2. Stop chasing love

The first one is pretty simple, we all have those days when you sit in front of the TV mindlessly eating, then rationalizing why you deserve to eat some more, or if you just eat those three cookies THEN go on a diet you'll be okay. I vow to stay resolute and to eat mindfully, like a food critic on Food Network, or an Iron Chef America judge. Food to me has a binary function. First, it is supposed to satisfy our body, give us energy. Then, it is also a source of enjoyment, of comfort, capable of churning up memories or being the stuff of creating new ones. Food can show your love, your devotion, food in this sense is an experience. So, combining both functions to me creates a philosophy for mindful eating. This means eating with a mind towards health, weight-management but allowing oneself the occasional indulgence but just enough to taste, not enough to stuff. It means chewing slowly, thinking about the flavor combinations, balance, ingredients, and adding a level of inquiry, analysis and intense enjoyment to the act of eating.

The 2nd resolution is self explanatory. They say you find something when you're not looking for it and I've spent far too long trying to actively search out love, carving my life around this expedition. This year, I'm doing me.

Also, am going to take care to be more active with postings and engaging my blogger/twitter community. It's part of what got me through the year and now, as a thank you, I want to give something back.

What are your resolutions for the new year? Any comments on how Organic Eats can improve in this new year? Is there a recipe/topic you'd like us to explore?

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year and thank for your thoughtful post. It's a great time to take stock of what we want to do differently and i love your 'eat mindfully' thought. Celebrate each day!

    ReplyDelete