Thursday, July 1, 2010

Herb Gardens: A Summer Delight

Here's my best summer tip in two words: herb garden. Not only can you be assured of fresh herbs (with minimal work!) but you can also add amazing flavor to homemade dishes without packing in any extra calories. I'm growing basil, oregano, thyme and cilantro this summer season and find it relaxing to water my herbs in the morning before I start my day. Make sure to plant in a sunny spot so that your herbs can soak in the sunshine all day long (not a spot that becomes shady in the afternoon) and voila! Save money and add freshness to your summer grilling and cooking!

Herb Scramble:

1. Crack 2 eggs in a bowl with 1 tablespoon buttermilk (adds fluff)
2. Beat eggs until smooth but be careful not to over-beat (1-2 mins should do it)
4. Chop herbs of choice: I like to take a handful of basil julienned (stack leaves on top of each other and roll all together towards one end, slice knife width-wise through stack)
5. Dice 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite cheese, depending on how cheesy you want your eggs to be (I love ricotta salata, spicy pepperjack or creamy St. Andres)
3. Add 1/2 teaspoon oil to a small saucepan on medium heat (too high heat makes eggs tough)
4. Place eggs in pan with herbs and cheese. As soon as outside is cooked use spoon to move cooked area to center until eggs are fully finished. I like my eggs a little runny but cook to desired consistency.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
(As an added summer bonus I love fresh mango, strawberries and kiwi on the side to add freshness to my morning meal!)

Affectionately Yours,

Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment