Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Master Cookie Disaster


So this weekend was one of my close friend's birthdays and our phone conversation Thursday night went something like this:

Friend: Soooo.... Saturday night is my big party.
Me: I know! Can't wait!
Friend: Hmmm... have you been baking lately?
Me: Of course, what else is new?
Friends: Oh, thats good. Good to hear... you remember those chocolate chip cookies you made for Erika's birthday?
Me: Yup, they turned out delicious!
Friend: Really good.... I loved them... that's what I really loved... the cookies you made her.... for her birthday.... that I wound up finishing half of.... because I loved them so much.

As you can imagine, I was far from stumped about what to make her. I pulled out my delicious cookie recipe and set to work. BUT, with just two short hours before I was due at her party (I wanted the cookies to be super fresh and gooey when I got there so left them for the last few hours) I realized that I didn't have enough flour. I knew that some people substitute applesauce for flour but thought that gross in cookies so decided to go with some canned pumpkin I found in my pantry instead. HUGE MISTAKE!!! The cookies tasted okay (far from the deliciousness of my previous and renowned batch) but only to someone who liked pumpkin pie. Anyhoo... was scouring the internet for an (actual) pumpkin cookie recipe and found this good one over at Epicurious... So if you're feeling adventurous (and your friends have a more sophistocated palate than mine do... go ahead... take a stab at it... ) Needless to say my friend was less than pleased with my own batch and now I have an I.O.U. for my REAL cookies... will post that recipe with pictures when I make them YET AGAIN. So moral of the story? If you ever run out of flour in a batch of cookies your best friend not-so-subtly hints she would like you to make for her birthday, go to the store and get more. Don't be an adventurous, swash-buckling gourmand.

Xo

Mix
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup shortening
1 can pumpkin

Add:
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp.baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped nuts

Cinnamon frosting
4tsp melted margarine
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
2-3 cups powdered sugar
-MIX the first 4 ingredients-

milk (i just eye ball it till i think it looks good)

Drop tablespoon on greased/non stick cookie sheet. (i use my pampered chef perfect cookie scooper)
Bake at 350
10-12 minutes (mine are perfect at 10 mins)

(link is: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/PUMPKIN-COOKIES-WITH-CINNAMON-FROSTING-50009886 )

No comments:

Post a Comment